Sunday, January 2, 2011

Recycled Hats....

The orange hat was made from an old wool coat of mine...and the purple one, from a cashmere sweater.

I used the beret template found on Martha Stewart's website as a starting point, made a mock up out of junky knit material, and found out that I have a very large head! I continued making three more mock ups until arriving at Mr. Orange, modeled here by my daughter (who doesn't have as a big a head which is why the hat looks big on her).

Ms. Purple is made to look like a hat I saw in a Garnet Hill catalog. I took the hem section of a sweater, and without cutting the sweater, stretched it to fit smoothly on one side of my head, bunching it on the other. I tied the clump of wool together and then tied it off.  I trimmed the excess and stitched through the clump over and over again using blind stitches.  Last, I  put a piece of yarn, similar in color to the sweater, around the clump.  I dyed it purple using wool dyes, and "felted" the flower using the clothes dryer.  Tips: Wash and dry the wool in both cases before you begin. Perhaps dye the fabric first, and then create the final product.  The purple hat has a slight streak in one of the creases....


 

One More Shrine.....

This terrific shrine, made by a sophomore, was fashioned from an old record, a cookie tin, miniature motors, hardware store items and miscellany....