Because I have a lot of cake circles and wanted to use some of them up, as a fall project we made sunflowers on sticks. First, the students practiced drawing them on scrap paper, and actually painted the practice pieces. this took one class period. It was difficult for first graders to work on a larger scale, so there was a lot of erasing. During the following class we re-drew the sunflowers on the cake circles and painted them. Another week the students painted the sticks and cut out the leaves. I hot glued the projects together, as first graders cannot use hot glue. Finally, a week later, we used white glue to glue actual sunflower seeds onto the flowers. This is not an instant project! My goal is to create lasting projects that take more than one class period to complete.
Saturday, November 29, 2014
The pre-k rooms in my school have three tables at which all students sit, so I created three stations--two stamping stations, and one "rolling" station where we used decorative foam rollers. We used whole sheets of random colored 9 x 12 construction paper, and didn't bother to put student names on them. Afterwards, I cut all of the sheets into 2 inch squares, drew 4 large elephants (about 4 ft x 2 ft) and quickly drafted a 2 inch grid on all of them. The students made small alphabet books, using the arty mosaic squares on the covers, and then we made 2 elephants per class as group projects, using glue sticks. Both were easy and engaging projects.
Wednesday, November 19, 2014
I wanted the students to try painting on one side of the line--in this case--the outside! The background is often ignored and appears as a big, white expanse. I wanted the students to realize the importance of the page and all that is on it. Many went over the line--and got good results.